ITUNI LODGE No. 2642

ITUNI LODGE No. 2642

Over earlier years Lodges were warranted in Berbice, but for a variety of reasons they eventually ceased to exist. In 1896, an Englishman, Brother William Heather Parratt an engineer with the sugar industry in Berbice, with several doctors, lawyers, civil servants and businessmen, agreed that another effort be made to re-establish Freemasonry there.

The name Ituni was suggested by Brother Parratt, being the name of the steamship which brought him to British Guiana. The vessel having been so named by the owners after a tributary or creek on the upper reaches of the Berbice River.

The Warrant was approved on December 29, 1986 and Ituni Lodge was consecrated on September 29, 1987 in the upper storey of the Berbice Reading Society Building in Church Street, New Amsterdam.

The Petitioners were Dr. Arthur Matthey, William Heather Parratt, Neil Ross McKinnon, William Francis Law, William Alfred Douglas, David William Aug McKinnon, Joseph Edward Godfrey, Henry Hutt Cummingham, H.F Bridges, William Blair and Godfrey Firth Franks.

The First Officers were: Bro. Dr. Arthur Matthey W.M

Bro. Wm. N. Parratt                         –                       S.W

Bro. Neil R. McKinnon                    –                       J.W

Bro. David W. A. McKinnon          –                       Treasurer

Bro. Dr. Isaac H. Ross                     –                       Secretary

Bro. Joseph Godfrey                       –                         D.C

Bro. Dr. Wm. F. Law                       –                       S.D.

Bro. Alex L. McEwan                      –                       J.D.

Bro. George Sanford                       –                       I.G.

Bro. John C. Haly                            –                       Tyler

At the meeting of the Lodge in June, 1904, a motion was passed that the property at Lot 9 Queenstown, New Amsterdam with building thereon be acquired for a Masonic Hall for $1,000.00 and was occupied for the first time on September 30, 1904.

Through W. Bro. Dr. Harold Everard Davis, “a motion was unanimously carried for raising $4,000.00 by debenture bonds at $10.00 each for extension and reconstruction along strict Masonic lines.” The new Temple was duly dedicated on September 27, 1924. In addition to the expenditure for the reconstruction of the Temple, a cottage was erected for the Serving Brother at a cost of $800.00.

Later, once more through the efforts of Bro. Dr. Davis and his Officers, there was added and presented as a gift to the Lodge, a tower and entrance porch or “winding staircase” on St. John’s Day, June 25, 1928.

The original meeting day, was the first Wednesday of every month. This was subsequently changed to the last Monday of the month. The Installation of the new Worshipful Master takes place on the last Saturday in the month of September every year.

Ituni Lodge celebrated its 50th Anniversary on September 20, 1947. The Master was Bro. Ferdinand J. July, a sanitary engineer of New Amsterdam.

Over the years, the ravages of the weather took a heavy toll on the building, and as a consequence renovation works commenced in 1990. With grit, determination and commitment, the Officers of the Lodge, led by the respective Masters, and with the support and co-operation of the Brethren of Ituni and sister Lodges and above all the District Grand Master and District Grand Lodge, the building stands today in majestic beauty once again.

Outstanding in their leadership of the restoration efforts were Brothers Dr. Royston Arthur Evanson Anderson (1996-1997) and Gordon Washington Vandenburg (1997-1998) during whose terms of office, the major works were commenced and completed.

Through the generosity of W. Bro. James Bacchus, the Lodge obtained an electric keyboard. It was dedicated by the District Grand Master, R. W. Bro. Peter Alfred Taylor at the Installation of W. Bro. Vandenburg on September 27, 1997.

The Centenary of the Lodge was celebrated with a grand and memorable meeting on August 29, 1998. The District Grand Master and Officers of District Grand Lodge, along with the District Grand Master (Scottish Constitution) and his Office Bearers and Freemasons both local and overseas were in attendance.

Please wait...

Subscribe to DGL

Want to be notified when new posts are published? Enter your email address and name below to be the first to know!